Monday, September 18, 2006

Upload: In Flames - The Jester Race

Let's start on a positive note. I'm an In Flames fanboy, unabashedly. This is one of my favorite albums of all time.







In the past, I have been asked why it's so up there in my estimation. It ain't the most technical guitar album, it doesn't have the greatest songwriting skills in the world, it's neither completely brutal nor completely melodic, the songs aren't long/short enough, etc., etc., ad infinitum, STFU already. My answer to this is: balance. It's got some really great melodic moments, such as in "The Jester's Dance", "Moonshield", or the midsection of "Lord Hypnos". It's also got some seriously buffeting riffs, such as the intro to "Dead Eternity" or the intro to "Dead God In Me". It's got a lot of electric, but some acoustic is mixed in for serious effect. The songs aren't that out of the blue in terms of songwriting, but there's often not a distinct verse, chorus, etc. There are no ten-minute Malmsteen-esque wankfests for solos, but damn if the solos and leads that are there ain't absolutely delicious (not to mention comprehensible and melodic). 40 minutes, 10 tracks -- not too long, not too short.


My question is, what do people have against this album? There's so much right with it, why shouldn't it be one of my favorites?


The answer: it is, and it should be one of yours too. Bitch.


9 oddly shaped jester head thingies on fire out of 10.


Click to download

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must agree That Jester Race is a pretty good album probably the best they ever took out in my opinion anyways peace!